If you’re searching for advice on how to fix a flat tire on a vehicle, then you’ve come to the right place! Your Tacoma Used Dealership, GT Auto Sales, is always happy to supply drivers with a variety of DIY car maintenance tips. A side note – It’s always a great idea to learn how to fix a flat tire before you end up with a flat tire.
How Long Does it Take to Fix a Flat Tire?
You’ve stepped outside to leave for work and see that you have a flat tire! How much time should it take to fix it? This process shouldn’t take long at all. In general, fixing a flat shouldn’t take you longer than 15 to 30 minutes.
How to Repair a Flat Tire:
Here are the simple steps you’ll need to follow in order to fix your flat tire.
- Use an air compressor or can of Fix-A-Flat to first get some air into the tire.
- With Fix-A-Flat: Please be aware that, if you use a can of compressed air like Fix-A-Flat, then it will damage the tire and have to be replaced. Some tire shops also won’t want to deal with the mess it causes. In an emergency though, it can sometimes be the best option available.
- With an air compressor: Screw the gauge onto the valve stem, plug the lighter adapter into the car, turn the pressure on, and pump it up to the correct air pressure for your tire.
2. Plug the leak.
- Break your lug nuts loose.
- Use a car jack to lift your wheel off the ground.
- Support the vehicle with a jack stand.
- Remove the lug nuts and tire.
- Make sure the tire is fully inflated.
- Spin the tire to find the source of the leak (you’re usually looking for a nail).
- Use a spray bottle with dish soap to check for an area that’s bubbling up. It’s best to spray the whole tire.
- If there’s any damage to the side wall, then the tire needs to be replaced.
- Remove the screw, nail, or other cause of the leak.
- Use a tire plug kit to plug the tire, following the directions from the plug kit.
3. Replace the flat tire with your spare tire.
- Have a tire iron, car jack, and lug nut key in your car. Always make sure your spare tire is properly inflated.
Let GT Auto Sales Be Your Guide to Auto Maintenance! At GT Auto Sales, we strive to be your first choice Used Dealership in Tacoma. Give us a call or stop in Today!
Easy Related Posts
Buy Here Pay Here Dealership
If you're worried about purchasing a vehicle without great credit, don't be. We are here ...read more
Buy Here Pay Here at GT Auto Sales
All credit types accepted at GT Auto Sales! We are your used dealership go to! Good ...read more